Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sudden News

This Monday, just before I was going to book in to camp at night, SWA gave me a call. They told me that I was selected for World Amateur Cup selection tournament, held this weekend (so fast???). Okay, this was just as what I expected, maybe a bit too last minute. But then they told me that there were 8 people going for the tournament, and the 8 includes those that didn't even go for the Whompoa Cup last year.

According to the usual rules, only those Singapore citizens who got first 4 in the Whompoa Cup held every year can go for the selection tournament next year. I asked James about it, and he said that SWA has changed the rules after some meetings. Why then, may I ask, that we were never informed? There wasn't any info about the selection tournament last year, neither did the registration form of Whompoa Cup state anything. How come they made the decisions without telling us anything? Isn't this a very important new rule?

Okay, about the rule itself. So every year SWA is going to choose 4 more other than those who won in Whompoa Cup to participate in this tournament, depending on their past performances in international competitions. But then what about new guys who want to join the competition? If it's always the same guys who go for the selection tournament then new guys will never make it for international competitions (World Amateur, I mean). They should also be given a chance to join the selection tournament also. Hence by choosing more winners from a certain tournament it will be much more fair than having SWA choose the participants among themselves.

Haiz... Today the competition will start, and I will have to play against the other 7 players in two days. I didn't expect this selection to be such a tough one, and there are so many strong players involved. I also didn't prepare well, plus the fact that immediately after I received the notice I had to stay in in camp until Friday. I'm losing more and more confidence and being more and more nervous. Maybe I will lose this chance again. I haven't played serious Weiqi for a very long time now...

Luckily this weekend is our book-out weekend. So I will still go for the selection tournament and see what I can do. If I get chosen, it will be the best. If I didn't.. Hmm... Maybe I'll just hide one corner and cry.

0 comments: