Friday, April 26, 2013

Dan-phobia

Every time I hear somebody say something like "I will never be a dan player" or "I will never get stronger", I feel like giving that person a huge slap on the face.



Unless you have a mental illness, I don't think there's are any reasons why you cannot be a dan.



The speed may vary from people to people. I've some friends who can get from nothing to 1-2 dan in 2 years. Some even faster.




Everybody will definitely get there eventually, if you have two things.



1. Belief in yourself



2. Interest aka passion



If you have these two things there, there's no way you are not getting there.



Getting to the dan level is not like getting into the top university in the world or getting full score for SAT.



The requirement is not very high.



All you need is to know some basic josekis and shapes and be able to perform some basic reading and judgement.



That's all.



If you are still struggling at the kyu level.



That means you are either lacking one or more of the two things I mentioned above.




Or you are learning it the wrong way.



In which case I would suggest you look for a proper teacher.



Otherwise everything will be alright.



Believe in yourself!



Go is not so difficult.



And once you get to the dan level, Go will be much more enjoyable.

0 comments: